Google+ Followers

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Still in Gaborone and Lobastse

This past 2 weeks has gone by quickly. So much has happened, I don't know where to start. This will be all over the place but I better start. We've been busy in Lobatse as well as dealing with cars and sick elders. Plus we went on a trip with the other senior couples to see the David Livingstone Memorial.

This is a termite hill we see on the way to Lobatse. It's actually one of hundreds. You can see how tall it is next to the cow.

In November the termites were swarming and we found lots of termite wings and dead termites around. These termite hills are sacred.

Elder Gubler thinks that most of the cars are about finished. We have a few that need minor repairs and service. The Lobatse car (beer truck car and car with the "rims") only needs shocks and a service. Yippee. We still have one major accident repair we need to take care of. The sisters car that broadsided "Albert" still needs fixing. Luckily Albert has his car and is very happy. We get to drive the Lobatse car for a few days. Let's just say that there is now a "David Livingstone Memorial Car" and the foundation of the memorial has been moved back a few inches. The car will be fixed for free because we send our panel beaters so much business. (OK, it's a fairly minor repair but it makes for a good story.) But we're not telling who was driving.

David Livingstone was a doctor and clergyman who came to Africa in the mid-1800's. Part of the time he was in Botswana. The memorial is about 20k from Gaborone so we went to see it. The weather was about 100 and there wasn't much shade. The guide we had was very knowledgeble and told us quite a bit about the placement of buildings and such. The chapel is here on a small rise. It is part way between a river (well there used to be a river) and a bigger hill. The people with Livingstone could get water easily when they needed it but could also run to the hill if there were enemies coming. (chapel, top right)

This next picture shows where the house was placed. Here he did his doctoring and his dentistry. The view was wonderful here.
This is the cemetery that was used by the Livingstone group. His 6 week old baby and several other people were buried here. The baby was wrapped in a calf skin as a casket. Adults were wrapped in regular cow hide. There were mounds that you can't seen here where rocks and such were placed to keep the animals away from the graves. If you want to know more about David Livingstone you should look him up on Wikipedia. He didn't spend a lot of time in Botswana but the people here are very proud of the time he did spend.

When you're hot and tired, somethings just look funny to you. Look at the top right corner, "Icecold Bodies"

Sunday we attended Ward Council meeting. The air conditioning was broken so it was mighty hot but we all survived. The meeting was pretty much like every ward council meeting we've been to in the past. There was also a discussion of ward soccer and the pluses and minuses of using soccer and as missionary tool because of the injuries. (Does this sound like ward basketball?) Our Relief Society President could be the president of any ward I've ever been in. She's a wonder. She knows the sisters and their needs and she likes to keep busy. I suggested that the primary, in addition to having a president and counselor, they should have 2 teachers for the children. We'll work some more on what else needs to happen. These ward leaders really want to have a great ward. Small as this ward is, their goal is to become another ward. I can see budding greatness here. Except for the RS Pres, the leadership is very young. 

Friday night we are having a Young Single Adult party. We are taking refreshments and games and hopefully some of the YSAs will show up. Saturday, we are going to Lobatse for a baptism and then again on Sunday for our meetings. I'm baking brownies and cookies for treats for Fri and Sat. I think baking is my contribution to missionary work.

Elder and Sister Abraham, from St. George, are serving now in Botswana. They stayed with us Friday night before they drove up to Francistown. They are going to be a wonderful addition up there. It was fun to have them visit and tell us all about St George and their stay at the MTC.

Note: Sister Blunck, I have discovered cake flour. Yes, I know, you did long ago. But here, there is bread flour and cake flour. Boy, cakes and cookies really are nicer with cake flour!

Most important note: We just want to say how sad we are for dear friends of ours who lost their son this past week. We can only imagine how hard it is for the Sevy family. Alec was a special man who brought so much joy into their lives. We are so grateful for the gospel that gives us the knowledge that Alec was welcomed into the presence of Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father. While its so difficult right now, I know that this knowledge the Sevys have will support and sustain them. Thank heavens for testimonies!


  1. So how was Dad's birthday? Sounds like lots of adventures. I remember in Venezuela that we couldn't find regular flour. They add some baking powder or soda to their flour. Lots of fun experimenting with it :)We sure love you!

  2. Thanks for posting again! We love hearing what you two are up to. The people there are so blessed to have your baking! You truly have a gift for making delicious food for large groups of people:)
    Love Emily

  3. I love the part about Ice Cold Bodies :) That totally made my day....I would have been right there laughing with you mom!